Mount Pleasant and Glenella are part of the traditional lands of the Yuwibara people.
Mount Pleasant was named after the short-lived Mount Pleasant sugar mill, operating between 1883-87, before being converted to farmland.
By 1970 Mount Pleasant was an outer suburban locality of Mackay. The opening of Mount Pleasant Shopping Centre in 1980 and a State primary school in 1986 reflects the period of high growth.
Glenella’s first notable development was Glenella State School opened in 1912. Due to the urbanisation of nearby Mount Pleasant in the 1970’s, Glenella’s population doubled in the ensuing decade.
Further rapid urbanisation occurred due to the mining boom from 2002 to 2013.