West Mackay is part of the traditional lands of the Yuwibara people.
West Mackay developed along the Bruce Highway as the main transport axis into Mackay.
Notable early developments include a government sugar nursery built in 1890 near the lagoons (now the Mackay Botanic Gardens), later replaced by a Sugar Experimental Station in 1898 and the Queensland Heritage listed Sugar Research Institute in 1953 designed by prominent architect Karl Langer.
Additionally, the Mackay District Hospital (now the Mackay Base Hospital) was built in 1885 and underwent a series of major expansions in the 1920’s, 1980 and a major redevelopment to its current modern standard between 2010 to 2014.
West Mackay’s residential area is characterised by housing developed in the interwar years, resulting in a concentration of “Queenslander” type houses.